Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Good, The Bad, & the UGLY!

Well HAPPY THANKSGIVING Ya'll!

Hope everyone has a meaningful day, and if you're not spending part of it with Family or Friends, at least give a loved one a phone call, and let them know you're thankful. For myself, I'll be having a pretty full plate (whether or not I can eat much remains to be seen). I'll be heading over to the other side to Amanda's shortly, with a brief stop by my dear Friends, Jeff & Jill Kaiser (whom I'll be house sitting for this weekend). At Amanda's we'll be putting the finishing touches on our Honey Glazed Ham, and then it's up to Ulapalakua Ranch, to spend the day with Family Friends the Azevedo's, Michael and Diana, and their 2 boys (also former Lahaina Gallery Alumni). Among those also attending will be Becky, the Belle of Makawao and her three, the Schweiner Family, along with Kelly and Family, Nana Anne along with a Mystery Guest, and who knows who else. Should be a good time.

The drawing is from my Granddaughter Madison, her effort to "cheer up" Grandpa last week, and of course, she was successful. I'd also very much like to THANK everyone for writing and so forth, it's been entertaining to say the least. I'm trying to keep up as best I can, and if I haven't been timely in responding to some of you, fear not, I'll get around to it. And for those of you who HAVEN'T called, and may have wanted too, I REALLY appreciate that, as it's still a wee bit uncomfortable to talk. OK so much for the GOOD.

On the bad side of things... Being un-employed isn't helping a whole lot, and the World economy isn't encouraging. US Politics are enough to make anyone wonder WTF no matter who you supported (or didn't) in the Elections. And I finally did have my initial consult with the Radiology Oncologist, which brings us to the UGLY.

The technical term for my "situation" is Squamous cell carcinoma (and I'd suggest that unless you have a strong stomach, you DON'T look that up on Wikipedia). The short version (yes, I keep trying) is that the Radiation Treatment plan for now is 35 sessions, that's 5 days a week for 7 weeks, WITH NO BREAKS (seems I was wrong about that in my initial understanding), and each week will be worse. UGH! - OK, double UGH!! The Bobby Baker Clinic is nice though, well funded, modern and very high tech. Heck, during my consultation the Dr. had to excuse himself to go quite the staff who were giggling and laughing too much! This could be fun. NOT!

Anyway, the Doc went through all the details, and fortunately Amanda was there, because I know, as he continued along, I was listening less and less. Sure opened my eyes to a lot of things. So, what's up for now? Well I have what's called a Simulation next Wednesday, when they will make a "mask" to facilitate the treatments, and do a Cat Scan to enable my Radiology Team to map out the specifics of the Radiation targeting. Imagine that, now I've got my own TEAM. What more could a guy ask for??? Then I'll probably start treatments a week after that. On Monday, I'll be seeing my Dentist, Dwight Mounts, and his able assistant Jennine will be making me a set of Fluoride trays, to protect the ol' chompers.

OK, there's the short version, I've gotta hit the road, as I'm late (OK, so old habits die hard...).

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter, don’t mind.” Theodor Seuss Geisel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron,
    Don and I learned of your surgery from Bonnie and I have been reading your blog. Your positive attitude is great - we admire your approach considering the discomfort you have had post surgery.
    Hang in there.
    Best regards,
    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    I am a friend of Rick. I am also a 4 year cancer survivor. He told me about your blog this morning, man, I am sorry about what you are going through. Sounds very painful!
    It also sounds like you are surrounded by lots of love and support which is good.
    I will keep checking back about your journey. Good luck, and you have one more person cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete