Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November 12th - First Consult with ENT

"Today was my first visit with my ENT Dr. Scott Newman. A young fellow, pretty mild mannered, good sense of humor and all in all, someone whom at this point anyway, I feel pretty comfortable with.

Of course I have a ton of questions, primarily how much of this should I be able to handle on my own, and will I in fact need someone to assist me, and if so, to what extent. How will it affect my diet? Will I qualify for Medical MJ? When can I go back in the Ocean?"

- - - - - - - -- scrrrreeeeeeeecccchhhhhhh!

Whoa up there just a minute...

Alright, that was what I'd started with yesterday, thinking I'd get "one up" on things... Well, there's item number 312 that I've been wrong about so far this year! and I really hate being wrong... OK, better get used to it.

So, the big deal of today is, after Dr. Newman involved Dr. Song (also an ENT) in addition to his having conferred with a Dr. Brad Burton in Honolulu (evidently the Pacific Guru in this field) and Dr. Cody, a top notch (so I'm told) Oncologist, and no doubt Cheryl, his Nurse (and a very sweet Japanese woman who has actually been very nice to me); that I will be having my Tonsils out this Friday. Well, actually only one tonsil. "Only one?" you say? Why not both" Simple answer there is, so it'll take less time to heal, and enable me to start the Radiation Treatments that much sooner.

So, things all of a sudden shifted gears, and again, I've been caught way underprepared. I was certain from all discussions thus far, that surgery was not going to be necessary, and that I had a couple weeks or so before they could get the radiation treatments scheduled. Nope. Good thing I've got an automatic shifter, or I'd be having trouble coming up to speed.

The real bummer on this turn of events is that I was expecting to host several very special Visitors here this weekend, arriving on a Cruise ship in Kahului Harbor. Actually, 'tis a Friend of a Friend (long story there...) who is traveling with her Sister (celebrating a Birthday) and Mother (a bit hard of hearing and only speaks Norwegian). Well, needless to say, I was looking forward to meeting the legend K.Rose and Family, and showing them around our Island Paradise. Well, that's just not gonna happen. Probably neither will Bartender School on Saturday, and my ol' Buddy Dan will have to represent us both.

Oh, and here's another thing I learned today, you don't eat Ice Cream before you show up for a Doctor's appointment. Tend's to fluster the Nurse, when she's trying to take your temperature. That's what I get for being early enough for my appointment, that I had enough extra time to have the darn ice cream in the first place.

Well, of course there's more news than this, but this will have to suffice for now. I do want to say THANKS to all of you who have responded, and even more so to say THANKS for your understanding. The real good news is e-mails BY FAR out weighed telephone responses, and for me, that's a really great thing. I don't have "roll-over" minutes (hint, hint...)

Aloha Everyone. Ron Wall

1 comment:

  1. You’re a pretty funny guy Dad, and a good writer too! Love the comment about the automatic shifter and I must say, you really are switching gears pretty fast and being very "go with the flow-ish". Your making me very proud ;-)
    Also the whole ice cream bit with the nurse and it throwing your temp off. For once you early (maybe not once) and you indulge and get chastised for it. Oh, the irony. Good job!

    ReplyDelete