Sunday, November 16, 2008

GOSH, That wasn't so bad...

Hi Y'all! (Had my Right Tonsil removed on Friday, Nov.14,2008: Went in at 11:10am, picked up by Amanda at 5:30pm).

It's Sunday morning and if the tonsillectomy is any indication, this might not be all that bad. The In & Out process at the Maui Kaiser Wailuku Surgicenter went pretty smooth. Although pretty tight quarters, things appeared modern, clean and orderly and the entire Staff was cordial, caring and competent. I don't remember "going out" at all, or them even telling me it was time (which I didn't mind a bit) and "coming too" was pretty much just like waking up, only with an oxygen mask over my nose (which turned out to be a humidifier, and explained why in spite of all my aggressive breathing I never reached that oxygenated high I thought I was pursuing), and the Nurse asking, "How was I doing?"

Next question was, "How's your pain level?" (Which I'd been coached ahead of time was 1~10 with 1 being low & 10 being high.) To tell the truth, although there was definite discomfort I just wasn't all that sure just how much it did hurt, so I simply replied, "Four." Her response was, "OH, 2 milligrams or cc's or (somethings) of MORPHINE." And I thought to myself, Cool, for no particular reason, except it sounded like "heavy" drugs, and I had 6 more points to go if things really started to get bad. But (THANK YOU LORD) they never did.

So, the "short version" so far is, none of the "gloom & doom" or the "horror stories" or somebodies bad experiences have manifested themselves, and I'm feeling GREAT! (Sorta...)

I've been on Liquid Vicodin & Tyleno (HYDROCOD 735MG + APAP 500MG/15ML ELIX) every 4 hours, and it seems to be doing the trick, pain wise just fine. Again, mostly more an extreme discomfort than anything terribly painful - HOWEVER, there are those occasional exceptions which are a real momentary treat. Then there's liquid antibiotics every 8 hours, Amoxicilin. There's been virtually no bleeding, I've a wide range of liquids and soft foods that have so far seemed to do the trick. Swallowing has been a little strange and somewhat uncomfortable, but, I have to say, surprisingly not all that bad. Side of neck/ right shoulder's a bit sore, but nothing much. A new little ache on the right side back of my tongue has materialized over night, and for whatever reason I have a little "headache" kind of pain below my right temple. Bottom line is, I ain't complainein'!!!

I've been sleeping (living) in Amanda & Kyle's living room, on the recliner, quite comfortably in front of 52" HDTV, and through the Sliding Glass door, beyond the deck lies the verdant view of the Iao Valley and West Maui Mountains, blue sky and all. Surrounded by Family tending to all my needs, which have been thankfully few.


Amanda's been a dutiful care giver and taskmaster, the Grandkidz (Tyler & Hailey)have been comforting and entertaining, Kelly stopped by with Madison & Grayson last night (Saturday) and we had a nice visit. Poor thing, she worries too much, so it was good for her to see for herself that Dad was doing OK.

To be fair, I should probably mention here that because I felt so well Saturday morning, I decided to go ahead and go for my Bar tending Class (6 weeks at MCC), and was picked up by my Friend and "study partner" Uncle Dan Snyder. Dan brought me back home after class, and we were all surprised by an unexpected visit from Bonnie Nelson, who just happened to be in the neighborhood, having been a week early for a Baby Shower! Bonnie offered hugs all around, and I think we all found it to be a rather interesting time.

I've had a chance to get though most of my E-mail, which I've been a bit (thankfully) overwhelmed with and by; and have hopefully responded suitably to all of you who have written. For those of you who haven't, well that's fine too, for whatever reasons. I realize that for some, my rambling preamblings will have been interpreted as, "Ron doesn't want to be bothered at all, so we won't." For others, it's totally understandable that it's something you want no part of whatsoever, and that's fine too. That's the whole idea about the Blog (did I mention that?) - you can take it or leave it. As for my "approach" in sharing (or not) my situation and the ensuing saga, is so word would get around to those it mattered too. Some of you have asked, and perhaps others may have had occasion to wonder... Yes, feel free to share, inform or pass along this information to whomever. I've no restrictions.

That all being said - I have been a little dinghy, my thinking is a little muddled, I'm no longer smoking or drinking, and find myself having very little motivation. I've not felt (or so it seems to me) irritable or anything, and it's even been moderately easy to "talk." HOWEVER, in just the short (well, it's probably been a couple hours or so by now) amount of time I've been here, pen in hand so to speak, there seems to be a new - dare I say increased - level of pain. Methinks the fabled "third day of pain" rule may be coming into effect. So, on that note, I'm off to the Races. NASCAR'S SPRINT CUP Final Race is today, at Homestead, Miami, Florida. Looks for #48 Jimmy Johnson to take the Championship, but it's still anybodies race, should be a good contest. FYI Clint Boyer won the NATIONWIDE Championship race yesterday.

More later maybe. Aloha for now, Recovering Ron.

Let us be of good cheer, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which will never happen. ~ James Russel Lowell

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'll make a comment - Great picture-- Who's the old guy with the hat? - Glad to hear the op. went OK and that you're well cared for. - We're sending good thoughts your way. Say hi to Annie for us if you get a chance. I didn't realize that you are a pretty good writer - maybe you missed your calling - Calling? Who's calling? hello, anybody home? I didn't think so
    Anyway we'll sign of with a "good on ya mate"
    Love Craig and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Ron--Okay--will follow you along this route..all will be well...and you are in my prayers big time..

    Hmm- that liquid vicodin must of been pretty nice...as long as you don't have to show up for work the next day...and just think,,you won't get into any trouble for having it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Ron---you will do great..I just know it..

    got any of those liquid drugs to go around for the rest of us..

    just kidding..I have a life without them..

    ReplyDelete