Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Little Appreciation

Recovering from Recovery…

Yesterday went fairly well, as “days go,” I guess; especially so, considering it was my 61st Birthday (oops - had mistakenly previouslu had this as my 60th... hada be the drugs!), and first follow-up appointment with Dr. Coty, the Medical Oncologist. Nat
urally, his office is in the Oncology section over at Kaiser Wailuku, where I had been undergoing my 8 weeks of Chemotherapy and all in all, I received a GOOD report, and will see him once more before leaving for California in May.

Awhile ago, it occurred to me, that it would be a worthwhile gesture on my part, to acknowledge or express my appreciation to the surprising number of Medical Professionals it took to provide and maintain the care I’ve been under. The first thought I had was the timely result of something I stumbled over, on the Internet. I came across a site, where you could make your own HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD STAR, the so called “Star’s” Star… And weeks ago Amanda had helped me to collect all the names and with correct spellings.


As time went by I remembered having some "certificate" blanks somewhere in storage, and was actually able to find them, and added that to the mix. In talking with Amanda and Kelly we came up with the idea that one thing Nurses and anyone in the Medical profession would appreciate would be a Foot Massage & Pedicure, so we got gift Certificates for them all. Since two of the Radiation Techs were Male, I had concerns that a "pedicure" might be a little too effeminate, but turns out both are married, so I left them the option to pass the certificate on to their Wives, and maybe pick up some Brownie points in the process.


Topping the package off with a letter to just say THANKS, and a little toy windmill for fun, we packed them all up in an envelope, and had Amanda deliver them. Turns out they were a big hit, and it was definitely the right thing to do.

And then we met with Doctor Coty, and Amanda brought up the issue about my "fingers" and he didn't like what he saw. Said he was going to send me over to see one of the surgeons, and have them take a look. Well, the look turned into LANCING three of my tender little digits, both thumbs and my right index. OMG, I wasn't ready for that. So now I've got even bigger bandages on my fingers, and typing has gotten even more difficult. And on that note, it's time to rest 'em.

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment