Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Few Bumps Along the Road...

Hmmmmm, Saturday is it? Where did this week go? Well, I have a clue, out the window is where. I think I mentioned that even though "recovery" had started, about all I could say I'd noticed was that I wasn't feeling any worse each day. So, while things have stabilized I've not yet noticed the "feeling better" part quite yet! But that's to be expected, so I'm told.


All in all, I guess I’m doing pretty good. Nothing about the Radiation treatments or chemo therapy were fun, and I’m really glad it’s over. Now, if I’d start feeling better that’d be nice too. I guess just not feeling WORSE every day is something, and I’m good with that too. My last radiation treatment was Feb. 10th, and I still can’t do much more than a totally liquid diet, which is getting pretty old, I don’t mind telling you.


One of the side effects of the Chemo was that I got infections in several of my fingers, pussy little things on the sides between the nails and the quick. Last Wednesday I wound up on a Surgeon’s table, having my two thumbs and right index finger lanced (that’s sliced open and drained) which was no fun whatsoever, and not something I was exactly ready for. The photo doesn't quite do the "thumb job" justice...


Thursday was my first follow-up with Dr. Makishi, the Radiation Oncologist, who pretty much said, "I'd done good!" He will see me two more times I guess, and get me started on coming down off the Pain Patch and the rest of the pain meds - which I flip-flop back and forth over. Sometimes I'm feeling pretty good, and am ready to be done, other times, feeling not so good, and wondering what else I could take to make things seem better.

Then on Friday I had the end of my nose snipped off (skin cancer which started the whole thing - and this is the "before" photo) and now I am the proud possessor of a little “dingleberry” kind of thing sticking on the top of my nose. I’m a real site… I’ll try and get photos up on the Blog soon, no reason why EVERYONE shouldn’t be able to laugh their ass off at my expense!



So, this little gem comes off Friday, and hopefully that will be the end of it. If the skin graft has taken that is... As for the fingers, they're coming along. The Left Thumb is just about healed. The Right has a ways to go, and the Right Index finger is still a bit of a bother. I have little minor flare ups on other fingers, and my Right toe on my foot seems to be barking for attention - I suspect wearing shoes as the major culprit there however. At least back in Lahaina slippers work just fine. Although we have Rain on the forecast, so we'll see.



"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment