Thursday, April 8, 2010

On a Clear Day...



Well the schedule remains full but the weather has been superb. Yesterday (Wednesday) was a Disneyland day with Marcus, and as is his habit, we got off to a roaring early start at the crack of 12:15pm! With a few errands to run we wound up down by Crystal Cove and I was amazed with the view. On the Coast you could see Palos Verdes Peninsula, Catalina Island and to the South, San Clemente Island - and I don't remember seeing all three at the same time since High School days when I used to cruise down from Marina Del Rey to Newport with Rick Moss's Dad Bill, while Bets and the Kids drove down.




Then, to the inland side both the San Bernadino and San Gabriel Mountain ranges were as clear as I can recall seeing them - with snow capped Mt. Baldy looking darn near like the Alps! At that time of day the drive to Disneyland was easy, with hardly any traffic, and again, the clear skyline made for a nostalgic scenic ride, not something I was expecting but definitely an added bonus.


After parking we headed straight to California Adventure and the Wine Terrace - WHICH WAS CLOSED! Well, not entirely, it was close for remodeling but they'd moved it around the corner, so there was still Beer and Wine, just no food. Marcus tradition is to start with a glass or two of wine, and to savor the crowd before entering the fray, which was fine by me. I still can't handle wine or hard liquor for that matter, but was content to have a Heineken.


With Marcus not having had breakfast Food was next on the list, and we headed across the way to Ariel's Grotto, upstairs. Well, not only did we find food but (much to my surprise) but we also discovered a FULL SERVICE BAR! Who'd of thought? We both opted for Fish Tacos (which I was later to semi-regret, and now I know the full meaning of Chipolte Sauce), Marcus another glass of wine, and I opted for a Guinness Stout... Ummmmm.


Turns out it's still "Easter Week" and the place was packed, and the lines were long. We managed to fit in California Soaring, Toy Story, Monster's Inc., a pit stop at the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian, and while I know you're NOT going to believe this, "we" even rode the California Screamer! Yes Sports Fans, it's true, yours truly actually, finally, muscled up and went for it. Marcus even insisted we ride in the FRONT! Well, I survived, not too much the worse for wear, although my hands are still cramped from gripping the handles, and my legs stiff from pressing me back into the seat - and I've got the picture to prove it!!!


We found a good vantage point just outside "Hollywood" to watch the ELECTRIC LIGHT PARADE from where it starts. This was kind of a treat, as it's been a long time since I'd seen it, and they're shutting it down in the next week or so, and moving it to Orlando. Just as the huge American Flag and Eagle passed by to mark the end of the Parade, we split for Disneyland to take in the Fireworks. We'd barely made it out entrance of DCA when they started, so we held up in front of the "F" in California to watch. You know, it was a pretty darned good vantage point, I was surprised, and relieved that we didn't have to face the challenge of negotiating the crowds trying to get down in front of the Castle, and were still able to see I'd say about 80% or more of the show.


In the semi-silence following the grand finale we both agreed we'd had enough, and decided to head for home. Marcus admitted his "one" too many glasses of wine had caught up with him, and I knew his back was hurting - and for me, since I was coming back Friday, and again in two weeks, I could easily call it a night, besides I was dragging a bit myself.


Today I'm off to visit with Carol Ruby, a Friend from High School in Newport, then this evening Cousin Claudia Burnette is picking me up and will join Aunt Elaine and several of her other Daughters for dinner. Aunt Elaine is letting me spend a couple nights at her home, and then it's back to JC's for further fun and frolic... Details to follow.
"When Someone Throws Dirt at you, Remember, all they are doing is Loosing Ground." - Ben Franklin


No comments:

Post a Comment