Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blame it on a Woman...(Revised)

It'd be nice if I could just blame my tardiness on my transcribing duties on Kris' being here, but that just wouldn't be fair. I have to take it all on myself, and admit to just being lazy! Hey, "I'm on Vacation after all." I know I tried to warn everyone just a bit, but still, I'm feeling the "guilts" (thank you Mrs. B...) so I'll try and get back on track here a bit, if only info wise. Photos will follow eventually, I promise.

(The Sunset Photo Above is offered as gesture of Conciliation and Apology... Taken from the Splash Bar at the Sand & Surf Resort in Laguna Beach - see below for more on this...)
So, we pick up Monday morning following the Long Beach Grand Prix, with Kris joining us at the Agajanian's for the week, following a visit with her Niece Kari, and her BFF from High School Daze, Mary (Wiegand) Meyer down in Carlsbad, CA. Kris rolled in about 11:00am, and it wasn't long before we (her, JC and I) were off, back to San Pedro to drop off the Band equipment.


(Revision #1) Now that I recall, we had an exceptionally splendid BBQ dinner at the Aggie Estate that evening. Francie had been wanting Fish for some time and JC found fresh Mahi Mahi on sale at Hugh's, so that settled the main course.


We made a special trip down to the Fish Market to get Tartar Sauce, and JC also picked up some Squid, which after being sauteed by Francie made a terrific Pupu and a great addition to Kris' Salad. JC took the few suggestions I offered on cooking the Mahi on the Q, and it turned out succulent as can be. Delisciousio. AND we were treated to another spectacular Sunset.




Tuesday evening was dinner at Old Tony's in King Harbor, Redondo Beach. An old favorite of mine (having first gone their back in the early 60's with my Parent's) it was a "must" to treat my Host's JC & Francie for their hospitality, Kris of course for coming down to visit, as well as friends and fellow LYC Members Leon O'Neill and Kathy Kern. Regular readers should be able to tell who is who in the photo on the right.




While Wednesday was mostly a blank for a brief time (Revision #2), I've since realized that it was truly a busy day... we started off with Kris heading out early to search for the "perfect Bagel" to satisfy a craving, which evidently everyone but me was having. Then Kris and I drove to Huntington Beach to have lunch with her Niece Kari - where we wound up at the Cheese Cake Factory. OMG, talk about a menu... anyway, it wasn't too difficult for each of us to find something to eat. From there we picked up Kari's 3 youngin's and took a brief detour to the Park to let them burn off some steam while we chatted (and tried to keep warm) before dropping them all back at home, as we were heading South for our evening plans...


Which were to visit Mary and her husband (also a LHS Alum '67 and Football team mate) Jerry in Carlsbad. Chicken, Asparagus & Spinach/Strawberry salad were on the menu. Again, over yet another fine meal, the ensuing gabfest went on until the wee hours, when we finally had to head back up North - the biggest advantage of which was no traffic!




Thursday Kris and JC and I were off to pick up LHS Alumni Carol Ruby ('68) on our way down to San Juan Capistrano where we met Carol's Classmates Janie Cavenaugh (Brunette) and Shelly Graen (Blue Blouse) at the newly redecorated RUBY'S Sky Ranch. Janie's Brother Doug owns the Chain, and Janie was instrumental in the design changes at the SJC store.




As one might tell from the enormous grins on every one's face, a good time was had by all. After our luncheon (more like a food fest) we made a quick run to Rainbow Sandals in San Clemente (arriving 5 minutes before closing) partly for sentimental reasons on my part, and of course to pick up a new pair of flip flops. With everyone finding something to expand their wardrobe, we returned to SJC and had the pleasure of everyone having a glass of wine at Janie's who lives within a cork's throw from Ruby's (OK, not "everyone" had wine, I contented myself with a beer, as wine is still too much for my tender palette).
As sunset was nearing, JC, Carol, Kris and I bid a fond adieu to our LHS Schoolmates and set off for our return drive to the City. Well, as it turned out JC & Carol had a hidden agenda and each had picked out a spot they wanted to visit, to share with Kris and I, as "we" were on vacation. Carol's choice was the SPLASH Bar, at the Sand & Surf Resort in Laguna Beach, and we were treated to an amazing Sunset, along with some delictable Calamari. After nursing a few Hot Coffee's (well, coffee AND I suppose) we were again on our way, this time stopping a place JC was touting, Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach. With a spectacular view of the huge Grecian pool we settled in for little "snack" and to watch the end of the Laker's game (which they lost). And then we were to drop Carol off at home and back to Hermosa, as we had an early call the next morning... DISNEYLAND! (And we'll continue that in the next chapter...)



"The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but the echo can last a great deal longer." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment