Sunday, March 28, 2010

Choo Choo - ALL ABOARD!!

AMTRAK'S STARLIGHT EXPRESS runs from Seattle, WA to historic UNION STATION in downtown Los Angeles, CA. This is sort of a summary of my trip.

Today (this would be Friday, March 26th) more or less began at about 20 minutes after six, as I sat, awaiting sunrise in the observation car of the Coast Starlight, which at the moment was idling in the Sacramento Valley Station. I was having second thoughts as to the wisdom of my decision to take the Train from Oregon to California.

The novelty and “romance” of the idea have been rudely replaced by the harsh impact of reality. I didn’t get the west facing window seat I’d expected. There isn’t an electrical outlet “for every seat” as I’d been led to believe. The Train isn’t “only half full” as I’d anticipated by traveling mid-week, in that it’s Spring Break! The couple that boarded just as the sun was setting and were seated right in front of me. Their four young children included one screaming baby, a two year old with an incessant cough, and the other two bent on arguing over everything.

And to top things off, the rather stout fellow who got on in Eugene (two stops South of Salem) sat behind me, next to a rather un-happy, un-pleasant, un-feminine woman who got on at the same time I did. Regrettably, they hit it right off, and began talk, talk, talking… with him (the breakfast cook) telling inane jokes, and she (the abused women’s counselor) laughing hideously at each and every one.

The real capper came when the chatter boxes behind me, and the rowdy siblings in front of me were finally silenced by sleep – the Father turned out to be a finely tuned and pervasive snoring machine. I can't swear that it was a record, but he did go on, WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, change in pitch or missing a beat for well over two hours. Then, around 4:00am, when you thought it couldn't get any worse, and it was finally quiet all around... then came The Seeker. He was about 6'5" dressed in black with a silver studded belt. He first appeared lumbering down the isle, and passed through the car on his way through to the next. It wasn't long before he came back on a return trip.

A few short minutes later, he was back, this time holding a Cell phone high over head, sweeping from side to side, like a flash light... on he went, towards the front of the train. After another several minutes passed, he was on a return trip, still searching with the phone... Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger, sure enough, he was back, this time flicking a bic, from side to side. Yes, clicking a lighter every 3 steps. All the way down the car, and on to the next. Five minuets, he was on a return trip. Believe it or not, after two more trips (unaided by illuminatory devices) he finally came stumbling down the isle carrying a small black back-pack!


On the upside, when the sun did come up, it revealed clear skies and all the noise machines had gotten off (at Sacramento). So, what’s a little sleep? I managed to find an outlet and was able to charge up the old Laptop and so returned to my seat in Coach just about the time we pulled into Emeryville and was treated to a very scenic view of San Francisco. Easily recognized was the Transamerica Tower downtown, and across the Bay, the San Francisco Bridge. Then it was on to Oakland and the Jack London Landing.

Just past there we went by a Ship graveyard, full of de-commissioned Liberty Ships from WW2. Quite an interesting sight. In the distance was also a munitions depot which was the site of one of the largest non-nuclear expositions in history, the details of which escape me right now... Just a little before 7:00am I treated myself to breakfast (and fresh coffee) in the Dining car. It wasn't bad, but if it'd been a restaurant on the road, it's not likely I'd drop in the next time I was passing by!

Further South, not too far past San Luis Obispo we came out on the Coast and were treated clear skies and plenty of sea life on the Ocean, including Whales, sea lions & water fowl. Next was Vandenberg AFB, and the longest runway in the world (an emergency runway for the Space Shuttle).


As we neared Santa Barbara it was getting to be sunset time, and I snapped this last photo. I think I'd mentioned that there was no power available anywhere in the car I was in, so I'd solved that problem by gathering up my Laptop, my Dirk Pitt novel, camera and relocated to the Observation car for the day. I sat at a table at the lead end of the car, on the Coast side, and was able to plug in the computer at the "out of service" snack bar in the middle of the car. I'd charge for an hour, retrieve the computer, use it for an hour or so, and then return it to re-charge. The time passed rather quickly and the scenery was very enjoyable.
From Santa Barbara it wasn't long before we were stopping in Van Nuys, and I barely had enough time to gather my belongings, re-pack and get ready to get off at the end of the line. Unless I'm traveling with "someone" in which case I'd definitely go with the Sleeper, the next time I think I'll just fly. Lessons learned.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain




No comments:

Post a Comment