Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On the Road Again...

'Tis truly time for the Luck o' the Irish, and when Arin goes Brahless... Oh wait, I may have that wrong! Sorry about that, what I meant to say is, "I'll bet you're all GREEN with envy" - that Ron is going off traveling again. OK, enough Blarney or Irish jokes - but, it is St. Paddy's Day after all.



But TOMORROW, I'll be boarding the big ol' Hawaiian Airlines Jet and flying off to Portland, OR.


Kris will be picking me up and then we head back down to Salem, where I'll be spending the week. The good news is they're expecting it to get up into the 60's. The bad news is, they only expect it to get up into the 60's.
Oh, you say you don't know who "KRIS" is... well, the short version is we were High School sweethearts, and were married for four years. Recently we have sort of "re-discovered" each other. So far, I have to say it's been rather nice, and I think we're both hoping good things will follow.

Then next week, I hop on Amtrak's COAST STARLIGHT at the Salem station, not far from the State Capitol - where incidentally Kris works at the Oregon Department of Transportation (or ODOT as the insiders refer to it), and carries the lofty title of Program, Resource and Data Manager; whatever that means. 8~)






29 hours, 23 minutes later I'll arrive at historic Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles. I'm fortunate enough to have my long time High School friend (and Brother from a different Mother) JC Agajanian, be willing enough to drive all the way from Hermosa Beach to pick me up. Not only that, but he and wife Franci have been kind enough to have me as a house guest for most of my stay in Southern California.


Among the high points JC has planned while I'm there are Easter with his Family; a visit to Parnelli Jones "Garage" for a Driver's Reunion; a night at Brixton's in Redondo Beach, to see Al Stewart (Year of the Cat); we'll do some "research" for our 45th High School Reunion next year; and one of our favorite little side trips... a day at Disneyland with Lunch at Club 33.


There's lots more to be sure, and I'll be doing my best to fill in the blanks along the way, but you'll have to check back from time to time if you want to be "in the know..."


Oh, and lest I forget (well, no, I didn't really) we'll be spending three days at the TOYOTA GRAND PRIX of LONG BEACH. Definitely a VERY HIGH POINT of the trip.
JC manages to arrange for Credentials which are totally cool and provide access to the Pits, the Track, Media locations and the Garages, as well as the Stands.


JC and a group of Friends have been playing Music as a band called GLASS, since back in the 60's (can you say Darby Park) and have won numerous contests, opened for Dick Dale and others. They're playing on Sunday night for the hospitality tent set up by SAM'S AUTO LAND, thanks to a long time Friend, Sam Kaskanian.

Interrupting my stay in Hermosa, I'll be heading further South to Corona del Mar, for a week with my old Friend, fellow Lahaina Yacht Club member and world renowned Marine Art Historian and Curator, Marcus De Chevrieux.

Another bonafied Disney Nut and Season Pass holder, we'll be making a few trips to Disneyland ourselves.

Marcus has warned that he'll be knee deep (well, he used different words OK, but I think you get what I mean) in doing his taxes, and I may find myself on suicide watch part of the time.

But Newport Beach is right around the corner, and one of my favorite places to visit when I was growing up. So lots to see, and Friends to call on. Aunt Elaine and several of her eight Daughters live not too far from Disneyland also and with luck will have time for a short visit there.
Then it's back to Jay & Franci's as Kris is coming down for a week! Hooray - now that'll be fun. We can go double dating...! (Jay - does that remind you of the old days at all? Craig Hanna, you got your ears on??) And then, after all that activity - I'll be ready for a rest, so it's off to Las Vegas for 4 nights, and a chance to visit my Son Carl, and his Family.

I'll be staying at the HILTON, which is pretty centrally located, just across from Circus Circus and near the Monorail. Vegas is definitely the Adult Disneyland... I can't wait.

Then, it's back on the plane to Portland, with a side trip to Salt Lake City and dinner with my Sister and possibly another High School pal, Rick Ortengurger and his wife Elfi.

OK - that's all ya get for now. I'll do my best to up-date AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK, I promise!

May your neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, the angels protect you and Heaven accept you. - Irish Toast

3 comments:

  1. Wow - That's a good life! Have a wonderful trip ... just so you know - I work in Newport Beach and I can be in Anaheim with just a bit of notice ... so I hope I see you in the So Cal leg of your adventure. Enjoy! Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip. If you have any time in portland, give us a call. John and I would love to take you to dinner. We have made the train trip to So. Cal several times and I have enjoyed it every time. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a fun & well deserved vacation!! Trying to remember who Kris is....Kris who??? at LHS??? make lots of new memories & have a wonderful time!! and such great news about your health!! thanx for the update!!
    blessings!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete