Monday, January 26, 2009

A Good Time was had by All...

Yep! That's my Date for the Commodore's Ball! And doesn't she look Grand? Amanda and I left for Lahaina a little after 4:00pm on a clear and sunny afternoon. The drive to Lahaina is always a scenic one, a 24 mile junket, mostly along the coast, from Maalaea over the Pali, through Olowalu, past Laniopoko and finally Puamana. Not surprisingly, we were treated to several "whale shows" along the way. We went for the Valet Parking at Longhi's, as it was easy. The Gallery was having their annual Art of Aloha celebration and I knew that "executive parking" would be out of the question.



The Club was decorated very nicely, I'm sure due to the efforts of our Port Captain, Suzanne Ayers; all in red and white, with little white cascade lights strung above the deck on the Ocean side. The Ladies were all gussied up, and even a few of the Gents had made an effort at styling. I think for the first time in many years though I didn't notice a single Tux in the house.

I'd hoped to have some photos to include, but seems they're gonna have to trickle in. Among the many attending were Dan Snyder and Bonnie Nelson, who joined Amanda and I at the Bar. Both our outgoing and incoming Commodore's were present, each choosing to attire themselves in shorts; This being one of the few years I opted for long pants - yes Mom, it's true! Willy and Dave were manning the Bar, and ready for action. A very pleasant surprise was seeing Emily back from her Mainland visit, and filling in as our Hostess with the mostest. Charlotte (who's managed to have 2 Months behind her of not smoking - Hang in there Charlotte) was joined by Sam and Karen to manage the table service, and Brad was at his best, manning the Helm in the Galley. The food was EXCELLENT - thanks Brad.

Jan Nolan and Aunty Panty (Stephanie Christensen) showed up fashionably late, and dressed "to kill," just in time for Jan to be the Lei Lady for the awards ceremony. Those two are always the live of the Party, and both very dear to my Heart. Leatha and John Domingo were vying with Bonnie West and Steve for "best dressed" couples... and I'd call it a draw (just to be on the safe side!)

We wound up calling it an early night, and had just enough energy to crash the Gallery Party, so Amanda could say her Hello's, having grown up around a terrific group of some of the World's most talented Artists, and I'd wanted to pay my respects to Nancy Killett who was unable to attend Guy's party last week. That was fun, but then the Artist's Shows always were. Two of the more important reasons for heading home early were one: Tomorrow begins my 7th week of treatments, and RT #24.

It's also my Mom and Dad's 63rd Wedding Anniversary!!! And, I wanted to (have Amanda) call them to wish them well, before it got too much later. Way to go Mom & Dad - there are precious few who can claim that accomplishment any more.




"It's frustrating when you know all the answers but nobody bothers to ask you the questions." - Curmudgeon's Observation

1 comment:

  1. hey you sweet man...what a gorgeous date you have there!! hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder who her daddy is??
    so glad you are having some FUN!!! and that the little "tips" are helping....eeegads the waking up every 1 1/2 hours would have me BITING people after awhile tho. arf!arf!

    getting slaphappy tired here...so goodnite...going down to 37 here in POway....brrrrr.

    you are in our prayers

    ReplyDelete