Friday, January 2, 2009

Nothing Noteworthy in New Year's News...

That is to say with regards to me! Today was Radiation Treatment #9, and I had the pleasure of a new "Driver's" company. Kelly had to work today, so Bonnie Nelson picked up the dubious "honor" in her stead. She was also kind enough to sit through my Erbitox IV session. For those of you who might not know, I have a real aversion to all thing "hospital" with a special emphasis on blood (especially my own) and needles. So, "needleless" to say, on a good day, I find all this thrilling. Well, today the Nurse sprung a new one on me... after the routine of hooking up the IV "plug" (or whatever it's really called) she turns around, reaches in a drawer and pulls out a huge syringe! Well, that was a new part of the program, and not one I was particularly fond of. The Nurse was quick to assure me that it was just to flush out something or other - by then I was staring out the window, hoping not to faint. I think Bonnie (and the Nurse) got quite the chuckle out of it.

Well, in that I've been feeling pretty good so far, I rode back to Lahaina with Bonnie, we stopped at Maalea Harbor and had lunch at Beach Bums (they took over where the Blue Marlin used to be). I guess it was good, however, I think the ol' taste buds have about given up for the duration and my poor tongue is oh so sore... The cold ice water was wonderful!

After checking in with Marcia and Steve, to get an update on the neighborhood, I hauled myself down to the Yacht Club for a pau hana (yes, I actually had one whole Longboard Lager) and to catch up on the goings on in Lahaina Town. Then it was home again, home again, jiggity jig jig!


"I love quotations, because it is a joy to find the thoughts one might have, so beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself." - Marlene Dietrich

3 comments:

  1. Getting an IV is always fun, isn't it. They just flush it so they can make sure you get your meds. Sometimes they can hit a valve, which I have been lucky enough to happen to me the past two times I got an IV, then the damn thing hurts. After years of doing the IV stick, I am still grossed out by it.
    Good thing they haven't made you get a port yet. I hope never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dad you need a new photo! This silly one needs updating! I love you and miss you terribly. Cant wait to get home and see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again...............was reading.....
    I have a friend who just recently returned from MD Anderson after 6 weeks of rad for a head/neck tumor that I forgot exactly where it was.. it is THE place soooo glad they had those consults with those folks.
    well onward........
    God bless you Ron and do HIS healing work in you to bring you back to 100%!!

    nitey nite

    ReplyDelete