Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes…

After a miserable night of VERY dry mouth and painful tongue, it all vanished rather quickly when I saw the FEDEX truck drive up in front of the house this morning. Well, actually, it didn’t vanish at all, but what the heck, MY NEW LAPTOP WAS HERE! Hurray. Not surprisingly it proved to be just the distraction and perk that I needed.

It was with great discipline and patience I resisted the urge to just jump right in, so when Kelly showed up to take me for Radiation Treatment # 14, it was still charging, and I could tell she was a wee bit disappointed that I hadn’t turned it on already… As excited as I was, having “been there, done that” so many times for others, I knew enough to just wait, until first the battery was fully charged, and that I’d have enough time to see the Set-up through, from Start to Finish.

So, after Kelly took a couple of quick pics of Jake, my young charge and faithful companion while the Jones’s are away (that’d be the Family Cat), to assure Amanda that I have indeed been feeding him (as well as removing his various “trophies” which seem to show up inside the house almost daily) – we were off. And were greeted with a rather nice surprise, Joanna (we think her name is), the receptionist who we’d thought was leaving as of last Friday was still there. Evidently her situation had changed, and she’d decided to say. “Hurray”, as she’s a chipper little thing, and seems to always have a smile and cheerful greeting for everyone passing through – something that place really needs.

Anyway, she hooked me up with a re-supply of yum, yum, yummy ENSURE, which is a big help, because it’s the most substantial thing I seem to be able to get down these days, and is expensive as all get out when buying at the store. Then it was on to the next stop, Janice the Radiation Oncology Nurse/Receptionist to discuss what could be done about the non-effect of the OXYCODONE as a pain med, at least as far as the mouth and tongue go. She was encouraging, and encouraged me to use the MAGIC MOUTHWASH more frequently, as that stuff really does do the trick, just not for very long at a time. She also gave me a sample pack of some 2-Part product called CAPHOSOL, a “supersaturated Calcium Phosphate rinse” to see if it did any good. You take two ampules of aqueous solution, mix them together and slosh it around. Turned out to be the ONLY thing that hasn’t had an irritating affect just putting it in my mouth, so that was good. We’ll see how it does tonight for the dry mouth.

Well, that’s today’s report… Tomorrow will feature a visit from old Friend, former roommate, and co-worker at the Gallery for 20 some years, Past Commodore Steve Taylor, and will feature a ride in his sporty little Beamer (Z3 Convertible). I’ll be spending most of this afternoon and evening setting up the Laptop – full report tomorrow.


The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a little. – Joe Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment