Thursday, November 11, 2010

AN OCASSION WORTH REMEMBERING


Yes, today is Veteran's Day, and although you can't exactly say, "Happy Veteran's Day" it is perhaps one of the most important days we observe here in the United States. I'm not gonna get all philosophical or melancholy, but I can't just let it pass without making some mention of it's importance, at least to me.


Yes, I'm a Vet, and proud of it, but sure no "hero" or anything very special, compared to the countless others, including my Dad, who served under fire and or gave their lives in defense of their Country and in the pursuit of Freedom for all of us fortunate enough to live here in the Good old USofA.


But it does put me in mind of my "Heros" as I was growing up, in the pre-High School days, as things began rapidly changing then. And I realize now, which I didn't so much at the time, that my Dad was one of the most important ones. I think the thing I admired most about him was his ability to please the Ladies. Now, don't get me wrong, he was anything but a "Lady's Man." He loved my Mom and they spent a terrific 63 years as Husband & Wife. No, he was a Gentleman, and always left the Lady feeling special. He had a sense of humor they loved, and was a gentle soul. I still aspire to acquire his grace and aplomb.


So, to put things in perspective a bit, I thought I might share just who my most memorable Hero's were from my early formative years. Probably one of my first was Johnny Weissmuller, famous for his portrayal as Tarzan. But for me it was also the fact that he was an Olympic Swimmer - and he along with Buster Crabbe both inspired me as a youngster, both of whom I saw swim at the Los Angeles Swim Stadium next to the Coliseum.
Then there was of course Walt Disney - from the very first World of Color presentation on TV I was hooked and VERY impressed with all his accomplishments both in film and with the advent of Disneyland. We had a lot of the animators and Studio employees living in the neighborhood I grew up in and I couldn't help but be influenced by them all. Elvis Presley was up there too. I always wanted to be able to "sing" and it was just never meant to be. His magnetism was pretty amazing which can be attested to by the fact that my Grandmother Estel Ralston just "loved him!" And they didn't come much more conservative or stoic than she.
Another one I remember well was actually J.C. Agajanian, Sr., and believe it or not this was years before I came to meet JC Jr., in High School. The Indy 500 captured my interest way early, and I can even remember listening to it on the radio. But Aggie's swagger through Gasoline Alley, with his big ol' Cowboy hat and ear to ear grin with just everybody saying "HI" - he was very impressive. And last, I'll mention one whom I miss about the most, and that was John F. Kennedy. I'm by no means much on politics and never was but even then, I was impressed with his Naval career (I wanted to pilot PT-109) and totally saw him as a great leader of the Country.
Well, it's harder to find "Hero's" these days... and even when you do, they tend to fall from grace sooner rather than later. I miss you Dad, they just don't make 'em like they used too.

A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around. - Edgar Watson Howe



1 comment:

  1. This is a very nice post; thank you for sharing. I was thinking of Uncle Edd - I miss him too. This time of year, especially, when we would usually be adding his apple pie to the grocery list for the Thanksgiving weekend.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete